Saturday, June 22, 2019

Death Certificate for my Grandfather

I just came across a copy of a death certificate for my mother's dad, Richard "Lud" Givens.  It isn't a copy of the official record...it was my dad copying off the original, I believe.  I think this document indicates that he died in Niceville, Okaloosa County, Florida.  I need to get a copy of the original to see if he actually died at home or whether he was in a hospital.    

I always thought "Lud" was short for "Ludlow" as his mother was descended from Frederick or Friedrich Kolmetz, born in GermanyHowever, this version of the death certificate doesn't reflect anything other than "Lud".  

He died May  18, 1948.  He was 54 at the time of death,  Florida Death Index, Certificate # 10764. via FindMyPast.com. 

He died of a cerebral hemorrhage as certified by A.G. Williams of Valparaiso, Florida.  The date that the certificate was received by the local (county or state?) register was 3 June 1948.  The informant was my grandmother, Alice Settles Givens of Niceville.

My goal is to obtain a copy of the official death certificate to determine whether he died at home or in a hospital.   In Florida, you can go to your local health department and get a copy if your ancestor died in Florida during the time that death certificates were documented.

 Or, you can contact the Florida Department of Vital Statsitics/ Bureau of Vital Statistics. 

For other locations/ different states, check out this web site: Where to write for Vital Records.

No comments: